Beta 2: Synthesis quests
The latest soundStrider beta adds a new quest type and a variety of enhancements. In its Synthesis quests, adventurers search for musical components to repair broken chords in a loving reimagining of Soundsearcher. And improvements to world generation and the exploration system send adventurers deeper into uncharted lands.
From the latest shiftBacktick blog post:
In soundStrider's game design document, my primary objective was to build a successor to the Soundsearcher prototype. After two months of meticulously building a proper engine, the first playable version had ported its footsteps and environmental sounds into a more sophisticated reality. Since then I have furthered my goals to expand upon it with additional palettes, footsteps, quests, various systems, and a distinct graphical style. With the addition of Synthesis quests in this update I'm delighted to have finally met that initial objective.
I hope you enjoy this update. Be sure to share your favorite bookmarks below and wishlist soundStrider on Steam.
Beta 2 changes
- Added props
- Added Synthesis quests
- Some quests spawn broken arpeggiators
- Collect nearby resonators and return them to the arpeggiator
- Repaired arpeggiators persist after completed quests
- Quest improvements
- Added waypoints to expedition stops
- Ensured quests start in unexplored areas
- Ensured quests lead to unexplored areas
- World generation improvements
- Rescaled palettes and fields for an average play session
- Bookmarks are affected by this update
- Added interstitial screen to the demo version
- Added support for Steam Overlay
- Fixed escorted Storm props not always sounding
- Fixed escorted Urban props not always following
- Improved the Exploration system
- Optimized reverb send for performance
- Prevented pause on window losing focus
- Track completed quests across play sessions
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.